Site Menu  



IFMT Member Search

:: The Irish Federation of Master Tradesmen :: IFMT Certified Master Tradesmen and Contractors

Have you ever had a bad experience or not been fully satisfied with a tradesman?


What were the reasons for this?

Poor Timekeeping

Bad Workmanship
Materials not Sound
Unnecessary Delays
Poor After Sales


Being a representative body we enforce a strong Code of Practice which all of our members must adhere to and therefore we anticipate receiving very few complaints. In the event that an IFMT Tradesmen or Contractor has acted in any way that might bring the IFMT and its members into disrepute, we want to hear about it. If you hire one of our members and are not satisfied with either the quality of service or workmanship or feel that the code of practice has not been followed you can complain to us. Where possible we will try to resolve the dispute by using our in house mediation team.

Know your Rights

The main consumer protection elements that apply to the Supply of Services are found below. More information can be obtained from The Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs.

The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980

The consumer is entitled to expect:


That the supplier has the necessary skill to provide the service.


That the service will be provided with proper care and diligence.


That the materials used will be sound and that the goods supplied as part of the service will be of merchantable quality.

How to make a complaint against an IFMT Member


Act promptly and reasonably and in the first instance you should contact the Company directly, either in person or by letter or telephone, Keep a log of all communication and correspondence should you need it to support your complaint at a later date. Give a description of who you purchased the service from, when and where and explain why your are not satisfied. Remind the Company of its legal obligations under the Sales of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980. Tell the company or Tradesmen how you would like your complaint to be dealt with.


If you do not receive a satisfactory response you should make a written complaint. Address your letter to the correct person. Make sure you keep a copy of the letter and if possible send the letter by Registered Post.  If you are complaining to a company give the name(s) of the tradesmen. In the instance of a sole trader write directly to the Tradesman.


If no response has been received within 30 days you can complain to us. You must first obtain a complaint form from us which can be sent to you by email or by post. Complete the form as soon as possible, keep a copy and return the form to us immediately. We will then send a copy of your complaint to the Company or Tradesman and request a written response to the issues highlighted. We will ask the Company or Tradesman if they dispute the complaint or if they will be making any offers to resolve the issues to your full satisfaction. As soon as we have received the response we will forward you a copy. If you are satisfied with the response and the offer to resolve the issue then no further is action is taken by us.

At all times we reserve the right to cancel a membership whether an offer of resolution has been made or not if we feel that the member has seriously breached the Membership Rules, has not complied with the Code of Practice or has acted in a way that might bring the IFMT and its members into disrepute.

Where a solution cannot be found you can follow the advice below on alternative procedures.

Small Claims Proceedure

Where a solution cannot be agreed another alternative option is for you to go to the District Court where a small claims proceedure may be able to offer a remedy. If you have purchased a service for private use you may be able to take a small claims action. Claims can be made for bad workmanship or a service not properly rendered and up to the value of €1,269.74. This is an inexpensive option at the cost of just €9.00 and does not involve a solicitor. Application forms are available at all District Court Offices.

You can also contact the European Consumer Centre who may be able to help. The ECC provides free and confidential information and advice on your rights as a consumer in the European Union.

Other Useful Resources for Consumers

Alternative Dispute Resolution in Ireland
Consumer's Association of Ireland
Your rights as a consumer in Ireland

  :: The Irish Federation of Master Tradesmen :: IFMT Certified Master Tradesmen and Contractors
Agricultural Contractors
Air Con/Ventilation
Asphalt & Macadam
Auto Electricians
Bathroom Contractors
Bricklayers & Stonemasons
Builders (General)
Carpenters & Joiners
Carpet/Upholstery Cleaners
Ceiling Contractors
Civil Engineers
Cleaning Contractors
Construction Firms
Damp Proofing
Decking Contractors
Demolition Contractors
Development & Planning
Drilling Contractors
Electrical Contractors
Engineering Firms
Environmental Services
Excavating Contractors
Fencing Contractors
Flooring Contractors
Garden Maintenance
Glass & Glazing Contractors
Heating & Plumbing
Interior Designers
Kitchen Contractors
Land Drainage Contractors
Landscape Contractors
Painters & Decorators
Paving & Kerbing
Pest Control Services
Plant & Machinery
Plastering Contractors
Removal Services
Roofing Contractors
Scaffolding & Formwork
Sheet Metal & Steel Fab
Shop Fitters/Fit Outs
Spray Painting & Signage
Tiling & Grouting
Tree Surgeons
Welding Contractors
Suggest New Category